Our Green Credentials
We strive to minimise our own environmental impact
Our biodiesel is renewable and sustainable, and we operate in a way which is both ethically and environmentally responsible.
Renewable and sustainable
100% waste oil input – we do not use virgin oils, but recycle a waste product which would otherwise be poured down the drain or dumped in landfill.
Oil crops grown specifically for biofuels are often grown on land that could otherwise be used for food crops and vast areas of fertile rainforests are being cleared for new energy crop plantations. In addition, they still have a positive carbon footprint as fossil fuels are used in harvesting, processing and transportation.
100% locally-sourced – transport is one of the major contributors to a product’s carbon footprint.
The waste cooking oils we use are collected from establishments located mainly in the Greater London area and the Home Counties. We do not import any waste oils from abroad.
Ethically and environmentally responsible
We are continually looking at ways to reduce the carbon footprint of our operations, thereby improving the sustainability of our products and services.
Some of the practices we have implemented are as follows:
- Turning all equipment and all the lights off at night with nothing on “standby”
- Using low consumption LED lights
- Sorting and recycling our general and office waste where possible
- Only essential printing is carried out and reconditioned toner cartridges are used
- Insulating our process tanks reduces heat loss and reduces production time
- Feedstock and liquid chemicals are delivered in reuseable containers drastically reducing the amount of packaging waste
- Animal fats and heavy oils that cannot be processed are returned to the feedstock suppliers for processing at other biofuel facilities
The electricity we use for process heating is our main source of carbon emissions. We aim to shift to a green tariff for electricity when our contract is next up for review ensuring that the energy we use comes from renewable sources. We have plans to invest in an onsite renewable heating system as well as to develop our own delivery fleet running on biodiesel.